My Blog List

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Blog#15: Minority Report Response


In the movie Minority Report, extreme security has abolished privacy. People are being punished before committing a murder and the government knows where you are at all times. I think that security is very important, but there is also a limit as to how intrusive the government when it comes to your privacy. I understand that it is for our safety but how long will it be until someone gets hurt?
What if someone from the law is so concerned about safety that they end up doing the most damage? For instance, lets say a police officer had a suspicion about something illegal happening in someone’s house, maybe a meth lab, but it is only a suspicion. If they didn’t have those little spiders from the Minority report, I bet that they would just barge into the house and destroy everything only to find out that their suspicion was wrong. What if there were children in there who got scared shitless because of people breaking into their homes while they were watching television? It would be ridiculous. If privacy is gone and no longer an option, no one would need a warrant to begin with to follow this hunch.
Privacy is already being reduced every year as technology advances. This doesn’t really bother me since I have nothing to hide and I find that everything I have on the Internet is very impersonal, but how long will it be until the government will be able to watch what we’re doing? I don’t like being watched or followed. It makes me very uncomfortable. If that were to happen, I’d be a mess and do everything wrong.  I also feel like things would be very corrupt. What if someone we disliked worked for the government and has access to our records? They can either 1) fabricate something to use against us or 2) find something from our past that we don’t want people to know about.
Violation of privacy is a very high price to pay. There is a line that cannot be crossed. I don’t want to have my eyes scanned every second of the day. I don’t want robot spiders interrupting a very serious argument I’m having with somebody or interrupting my shower. I feel like I’d feel less safe if privacy is destroyed. If I’m meant to get shot, then I’m meant to die. I won’t be happy but there would be nothing I can do. You can’t save everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment